The Abbey of St. Walburga is a small community of Benedictine contemplative nuns of the Roman Catholic Church. We are located in a valley in northern Colorado, where the high plains meet the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. As contemplative nuns, our primary duty for the Church is to pray the full Divine Office. The goal of our life is union with God, seeking Him in community according to the Gospel and under the inspiration of the Rule of St. Benedict. We devote much of our day to the Word of God, through lectio divina and in liturgical prayer (the Divine Office). This life of prayer bears fruit in hospitality, providing an opportunity for people to be in an atmosphere where they can find God. All of our daily work, whether in direct service to others or undertaken for the financial support of our community, is also offered to the glory of God.
We trace our origins to the early nuns and monks of the Middle Eastern deserts, who sought to live the Gospel of Christ wholeheartedly. St. Benedict (480-543) distilled his Rule from this living tradition for those who gathered around him seeking a way of life that would lead them to God.
Our patroness, St. Walburga (710-779) herself participated in the missionary thrust that carried Benedictine monasticism from the flourishing monasteries of Anglo-Saxon England to the continent. Her relics are kept at the Abtei of St. Walburg in Eichstätt, Germany, which was founded in 1035 to care for her shrine.
The Abbey of St. Walburga was founded in 1935 from the Abtei St. Walburg. Three Sisters from our motherhouse were sent to Boulder, Colorado to establish a monastery that was to be a potential place of refuge for the nuns in Germany from the Nazi regime. The nuns bought, at a very low price, what had been declared “un-farmable” land by the monks who owned it. With great determination and trust in God, the three Sisters, later accompanied by several more nuns, not only turned the land into a flourishing farm, but also set the ground work for a vibrant, joyful community of nuns who live faithful lives of service to the Church through prayer, praise, and conversion.
In 1997, our community relocated to our present site in Virginia Dale, Colorado, on land donated to us by a generous Denver businessman and his wife. We will never be able to express sufficiently our gratitude to the many people, some known to us, some known only to God, who have helped us throughout the years to continue our lives of prayer and service to God and the Church.